Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Awkward Stage...


A couple years ago I had a conversation with my father about relationships. I think it occurred right after one of mine didn't work out. Having divorced my mother, he could relate. He said something to me that I will never forget. The gist of it is as follows:

"Son, you need to understand that you're never going to find a perfect women. No one does. I don't think they exist. What I learned from my first marriage is that you do need to find someone you can withstand living with day in and day out for the rest of your life. She won't be perfect, but she'll be tolerable. If you find that, you'll find a wife."

Talk about a realist.

A week ago my 5YC teammate Chandler wrote a posting entitled, "That's my Quarterback!" Despite disagreeing with most of the post, he caught my attention with one line: "...The best thing about a partner is you don’t really have to like them. Just have to tolerate them." Words of wisdom. Dad thinks so too.

If this were a football game, I'd like to think the 5YC was in their opening drive. Our first podcast was a considerable gain. Maybe a first down. That said, we're not even close to the red zone and there's plenty of game left. And if anyone could join us in the huddle, you'd see emotions are high. At times Chad's thinking pass, I'm thinking run, and all we really want is someone to come in and give us the play. 

Last night we had our first 5YC meeting. We sat in a living room and talked about our feelings. We had expectations for this and for each other and we expressed things openly. As we laid out the next couple of weeks I looked up at Chad sitting across from me and all I could think about was that somehow I managed to get myself into another relationship.  

I think I'm dating Chad. 
The early line is 6-8 months. 
I'll take the under.

No comments:

Post a Comment