Thursday, October 22, 2009

Crouch, Touch...Ask Questions?

As most of you people probably know, I’ve never really experienced a rugby scrum. My short stint with the sport saw me standing alone on the wing, praying the ball didn't come near me, or worse yet, near the opposing team's winger forcing me to do that thing.  What do they call it?  Tackle?

Its been almost ten years since my hall of fame rugby career and I haven’t given much thought to scrums in quite some time.  That is until recently, when the fear of scrums has popped up again in my life.

No, it’s not the rugby scrum that has me shaking in my boots this time. Rather, the tough, grueling and physically demanding requirements of the media scrum.

Before you laugh, media scrums are a bit more challenging than one would think.

Picture this.  You are brand new to the reporter scene. A total nobody with little to no respect from anyone. In an egotistical industry you are simply an ant, standing in the way between the savvy media veteran and their story that’s due in an hour.

This past Saturday I worked the sidelines for CITR sports at the 32nd playing of the Shrum Bowl.  What is CITR? Better yet, what the heck is a Shrum Bowl? 

Don’t worry about it. Just know that I was there, on the sidelines with a microphone, rubbing shoulders with personalities from Shaw TV, The Province and The Vancouver Sun.

I know what you're thinking. I’m a hot shot eh! Yeah, ESPN should be calling any minute now.

But I took a lot away from SFU’s 30-1 shellacking over UBC.

First off, UBC’s football program is not looking so hot.

Second of all, being a sideline reporter is more challenging than I thought. Despite wearing my best push-up bra and spending hours on my hair like my girl
Erin Andrews, I found it tough keeping listeners up-to-date with the steady flow of injured bodies lining the T-Birds sideline.

The most challenging part was the post-game interview with UBC’s Head Coach. I now have a new found respect for anyone who has to interview Brian Burke after a five-game losing streak. But that would never happen right Brian, especially to start the season? Right.

To put things into perspective, UBC just lost their sixth straight game to fall to 1-6 on the year. The coach just watched his team man-handled by their biggest rivals. They were embarrassed and humiliated in every way possible. Their season, for all intents and purposes, now a failure. The last thing this coach wanted to do was field questions from some rookie reporter. But there I was with the responsibility of prodding him about the inept play of his football club.

So how did I fare in the media scrum? Well, if it were a rugby scrum I think my team would be struggling for possession. But for the first time, I think I held my own and the CITR boss thought so too.

This Friday I’ll be in the booth as UBC closes out their disappointing season against Manitoba. The next night I will be unleashing my inner Shorthouse with some play-by-play for T-Birds hockey.

A small promotion yes, but a step in the right direction.

Now, if I could only get paid for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment