Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wait...You're saying the Canucks can give the Capitals 15 Million, 5 Draft Picks, and a couple Hordichucks for Ovechkin?

It was the biggest trade in the history of professional sports. A move that would forever blur the line between sports and business.

The classic story of a hero putting a city on his shoulders and lifting it to unimaginable heights, only to have a villain snatch it all away with just one, quick phone call. All of this eventually amounting to an ending that only the lights of Hollywood could handle. Like I said...classic.

So much has been written and said about the Wayne Gretzky trade. Everyone seems to remember where they were on August 9th, 1988. It's like 9/11.  Or the JFK assassination. My Dad tells me I was crawling around the kitchen in my diapers, throwing apple sauce on my bib, trying to keep my large head upright while my undersized neck was screaming for mercy. Yet, for other Canadians August 9th, 1988 will always be the day they heard Canada's favourite son was heading south.

Why do I bring this up?

ESPN has a new series out called "30 for 30". The main think-tank behind the series needs no
introduction. It's a cool idea and I love everything that Bill Simmons does, so I decided to sit down and watch an episode.

But wait. Snap. No Canadian channel is showing the series. Gotta love Canadian T.V.

It all worked out though.  I searched YouTube and found an entire episode. And it just so happened that the Director of this particular story was Peter Berg, the dude that created and produced the Emmy-Award winning television series, "Friday Night Lights". Needless to say, I'm a fan and he's a legend.

His latest stroke of genius is called "Kings Ransom". From me to you.  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment